Monday, July 13, 2009

Voila, a pony who can even do vacations!

So I went to Destin, FL with my younger sister last week for her post senior year trip. I was not sure exactly how Pixie was going to handle an entire week off (I've posted before about the attitude thing...), and I wasn't sure WHAT was going to occur when I returned. So today, exactly 9 days after the last time I worked her, we barely missed a beat! She lined like a champ, and we even achieved more relaxation for the most part today than we have ever had in the past! I was so so excited, because I have to admit... I had been somewhat dreading this first day back. And I tried very hard not to be, because I really think horses can sense that kind of apprehension and react accordingly. We did have more get-up-and-go today, which is to be expected with that long of a break... although she was out in her field, so it's not like she got no exercise. I had planned to ride her for the first time this week, but until Miss Priss gets her twinkle toes done--I'm not so sure. She's very due for a farrier visit, so hopefully I can get that lined up and maybe ride this weekend!?! I think she is ready... we have steering down absolutely pat, and our whoa-ing is 100% better than it was. As I mentioned, Pixie has gotten quite a bit of "go forward"... which is good, I suppose. She is getting increasingly game, so I've tried to keep everything very slow and relaxed---but I really believe this filly has show horse in her. Maybe by the end of next summer...... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment